- 2014 Capital Budget Summary
- A Guide to Property Taxes 2014
- Adopt a Street
- Boat License
- City Art Collection
- Community Contact List
- Community Events
- Emergency Preparedness
- How Do I .......
- Ice Measurements
- NWT Diamond Jubilee Year Celebrations
- Online Services
- Organization Chart of City Departments
- Program Registration
- Public Safety
- Ruth Inch Memorial Pool
- Special Events
- Special Needs
- Spring Clean-up
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Yellowknife Public Library
- Yellowknife Seniors
- Yellowknife Transit
Social Issues Committee
The City of Yellowknife has identified that there may be gaps in services or a lack of services in specific social fields. A Social Plan was requested by City Council and developed for the City to assist in dealing with other orders of government and be proactive in voicing concerns or looking at issues that may affect residents. “Championing Well-Being in Yellowknife: City of Yellowknife Social Plan” was accepted for information by City Council on July 27, 2009. The Terms of Reference for the Social Issues Committee were adopted by City Council on September 14, 2009.
The purpose of the Social Issues Committee is to:
- assist the City, the Government of the Northwest Territories and the Government of Canada in an advisory capacity regarding social issues within the municipal boundaries of the City of Yellowknife;
- assist the GNWT by considering issues and conveying areas of concern and providing advice to the GNWT as they relate to social issues;
- to provide advice and assistance, if required, towards the current pilot project of a day-shelter for individuals looking for services with the City of Yellowknife. This pilot project is to start in October of 2009 with an estimated completion date of March 2012; and
- collectively or individually, without breach of committee confidentiality, solicit input from various sectors within the community (non-profit organizations or the business sector) or the public at large.
The Social Issues Committee shall consist of nine (9) members appointed by City Council. Appointees shall include the following:
a) The Mayor of the City of Yellowknife (ex-officio);
b) One (1) Member of City Council;
c) One (1) representative recommended by the Yellowknife Chamber of Commerce;
d) One (1) representative recommended by the Yellowknives Dene;
e) One (1) representative recommended by the Yellowknife Health and Social Services Board;
f) Three (3) representatives from the public at large; and
g) One (1) Co-Chair from the Yellowknife Homelessness Coalition.
Two members from the GNWT, Departments of Health and Social Services and Justice will also be appointed as advisory to the Committee by their respective Departments.