Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.
Skip to Content

Forms and Permit Information


Burning Permit Information

The City of Yellowknife Fire Division wishes to inform residents that burning permits and fire pit approvals are required prior to having a fire in your yard.  This includes temporary and permanent fire pit inspections, burning of grass, and burning of brush due to land-clearing.

Unless you have an approved fire pit, or a burning permit,  you are prohibited from burning within City limits.  Burning without a permit will result in a fine.   (By-law No. 4502)

Please refer to the following list, to determine what type of permit your require, and complete the Request for Burning Permit / Use of Fireworks form to arrange for a member of the Fire Division to perform an inspection (if needed) and issue the permit.

Class One (Brush)
  • Permits issued for the burning of brush and deadfall from development sites in the City
  • Extreme caution must take place to ensure residents are not negatively affected by products of combustion
  • Mandatory site inspection and approval must take place prior to burning
  • Permit issued for a maximum of 7 days
Class Two (Grass)
  • Permits issued for the burning of grass
  • No site inspection is required for the issuance of these permits
  • Only grass shall be burned; approval will not be given to burn brush, pallets or any other yard waste
  • A garden hose must be present for control of the burn
  • Burning will only be allowed if wind conditions allow for safe burning and smoke control
  • To stop if smoke is negatively affecting your neighbours
  • Burn a small area at a time
  • Pay for any cost if the fire has to be extinguished by the Fire Division.
  • Permit issued for a maximum of 3 days
Class Three (Recreational Fires / Fire Pits)
  • Permits issues for the burning of recreational fires
  • Mandatory use of an approved fire pit is required
  • Mandatory site inspections and approval must take place prior to burning; all criteria of the Fire Pit Information Sheet must be met in order for a burning permit to be issued
  • Temporary Permits are issued for a maximum of 3 days for Fire Pits
  • Permanent Fire Pit approvals are good for as long as you own the property

A permit is required for discharging fireworks within the City of Yellowknife. Permits are issued by the City of Yellowknife Fire Division. Please remember to:

  • Purchase fireworks from a reliable source
  • Always read and follow the label directions
  • Never experiment or make your own fireworks
  • Light only one firework at a time
  • Never re-light a "dud" firework (wait 15 to 20 minutes then soak it in a bucket of water or place it in the snow)
  • Never give fireworks to small children
  • Before disposing fireworks, first soak them in water
  • Never shoot fireworks in metal or glass containers
  • The person who ignites the fireworks should always wear eye protection and never have any part of his/her body over the fireworks


Fire Pit Inspection


Yellowknife Fire Division
100 Taylor Road
Yellowknife, NT X1A 2P4

Mailing Address:
4807 - 52 Street
P.O. Box 580
Yellowknife, NT X1A 2N4
P. 867-766-5500
F. 867-766-5509

Hours of Operation

Winter Hours effective following the Labour Day Weekend
until prior to the Victoria Day Weekend (September to May)
Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: Closed

Summer Hours effective following the Victoria Day Weekend
until prior to the Labour Day Weekend (May to September)
Monday to Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: Closed

Mailing Address & Phone Numbers

Yellowknife City Hall
4807 - 52 Street, P.O. Box 580, Yellowknife, NT X1A 2N4

Switchboard - (867) 920-5600
Mayor/City Manager - (867) 920-5634
Booking Clerk - (867) 669-3457
Municipal Enforcement (MED) - (867) 920-5630
After Hours (MED) - (867) 920-2737
After Hours (Public Works) - (867) 920-5699