Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.
Skip to Content

Applications, Forms, Licenses and Permits


City of Yellowknife
General Inquiries
City Hall
4807 - 52 Street
P.O. Box 580
Yellowknife, NT X1A 2N4
Map this location
P: (867) 920-5600
F: (867) 920-5649
Email Us

Application for Committee Appointment

Thank you for your interest in the City of Yellowknife's Committees, Boards and Commissions. To view current vacancies please visit our committee page.

Application for Committee Appointment

Building Services

Permit Applications can be made by:

Apply for Permits button

Building Services Division general inquires can be made by:

Building Inspection requests can be made by:

Paper (offline) Applications

Letters of Assurance

  • Letters of Assurance Guidelines
  • Form C - Letter of Commitment by the Owner and by the Coordinating Design Professional
  • Form D - Letter of Commitment by the Registered Design Professional of Record
  • Form E - Summary of Design and Field Review
  • Form F - Notice of Compliance by Coordinating Registered Design Professional
  • Form G - Notice of Professional Field Review and Compliance


Other City of Yellowknife Divisions Applications:


Other agencies involved in the building process:

Electrical and Gas and Other specific Installations

GNWT-Public Works and Services for inspections, registration and permits for: electrical work, elevators; boilers and pressure vessels; gas installations.

Office of the Fire Marshal Plan Evaluations

GNWT-Office of the Fire Marshal (OFM) for plan reviews and specifications for the construction, alteration or repair of structures to make sure proper precautions are taken against fire and the spread of fire.

Energy Efficiency Evaluations

Arctic Energy Alliance (AEA) for energy efficiency evaluations and advice.

Business Licensing

Please see the Fees and Charges By-law No. 4436 (pages 3 to 7) for information regarding the business licence fees organized by the type of business licence/service.

View our online Business Directory to look up local businesses.

Communications and Economic Development


The Department of Communications and Economic Development is pleased to assist you with any questions regarding filming on municipal lands in Yellowknife. Click here for Filming Documents and here for Orderly Use of Highway Permit Application (Road Closure).

Presentations & Promotion

The City of Yellowknife is pleased to provide residents, partners and other agencies with public presentations for the purpose of promoting our city. PDF versions of the presentations are available below. A PowerPoint version is available directly from the City of Yellowknife along with a User Agreement Form.


Public Washroom Incentive Release Form


Community Services


Community Programs and Events


Recreation Programs

Finance, Lottery and Tax forms

Lottery forms:

Tax forms:

Fire Division
Food Vending Permit

For more information regarding business licensing expand the business licensing tab above.

  • Prior to the Business License being issued you will need to provide proof of:

    • Propane / Gas inspection (if applicable) - Government of the Northwest Territories at (867) 767-9043 ask to speak to a Gas Inspector.
      • If not applicable then proof that an inspection is not necessary
    • Health Inspection - Government of the Northwest Territories at (867) 767-9066 ask to speak to a Health Inspector.
    • Proof of 2 million dollar liability insurance listing the City of Yellowknife as an additionally insured

    Once a Business License is issued you will be required to sign a Food Vendor Agreement.

    The City's Business By-law states that all vendors must  comply with Territorial & Federal laws/regulation. This includes:

  • If required by the NWT Office of the Fire Marshal (867.767.9161), a Plan Review

Once the Food Vendor Agreement is signed a parking permit is required which is purchased at City Hall.  2019 Food Vendor Parking Map

Questions: Please contact us at or 867.920.5600

Planning and Lands

Online Permitting

Apply for Permits buttonGo paperless and submit applications for a Development Permit, Checklist, Request for a Certificate of Compliance or File Information through CityView Online Permitting Software.

Submit a development permit
Apply for a checklist

Paper Application Forms (Planning)

Customers can still fill out paper applications and submit them to or in-person at City Hall during regular business hours.


Downtown Sidewalk Patio

Checklist/Minor Residential Development

A Residential Checklist application (instead of a Development Permit) is required for minor development on existing residential lots such as construction of an accessory deck, a shed or detached garage not exceeding 75 sq.m., or addtions to existing single-detached dwellings and depluxes that do not create a new dwelling unit, provided the proposed development complies with all applicable zoning regulations. The City reserves the right to require a Development Permit at the discretion of the Development Officer.

Development Permits


Land Related

Request for Information

 Residential Parking Pass

Site and/or Building Improvement

 Zoning By-law or General Plan Amendments

Public Safety

 Boat Licences

A Pleasure Craft Operator Card (or equivalent proof of competency) is required to operate a power-driven watercraft in Canada to show that you understand the rules of the water and how to safely operate a boat.  The Pleasure Craft Operator Card is commonly known as a Boating License or Boat Card.

You can get one by passing an accredited boating safety test, such as the Boat Smart Exam.  Take your exam online at

Learn more about Transport Canada Boating Safety at


Blasting is a common practice in construction in Yellowknife given our location and ground conditions. Prior to commencing a blast, blasting companies are required to notify the appropriate authorities, including the City's Fire Division, Municipal Enforcement Division and Department of Public Works and Engineering. It should be noted that blasting is often dependent upon weather and site specific conditions which may cause delays in the blasting schedule.

Blasts are regulated under the NWT Explosives Act which is enforced by the Workers Safety and Compensation Commission (WSCC). Should you have questions with regard to blasting within the community, please contact the WSCC or the local blasting companies.

Public Works and Engineering

Water Services

Click here for all Water Services information


Road Closures Requests

For any construction work done in Yellowknife that affects a road or alley an Orderly Use of Highways Permit Application must be submitted to the City for approval. Please allow a minimum of three business days for this application to be processed.


Yellowknife Accessible Transit Service (YATS)

To register for YATS, please download the YATS Application Form. The form contains a section that must be completed by a health care professional. For more information on the YATS application process please visit Accessible Transit.


 Street Naming Application
The City of Yellowknife maintains a policy such that any new residential municipal streets shall be named after Yellowknife citizens who have made a significant contribution to the community.

Application for naming of streets is to be made in writing to the City Clerk, City of Yellowknife, P.O. Box 580, Yellowknife, NT X1A 2N4; email or fax (867)920-5649. The application should include the proposed name and brief but complete background information on the proposed name.

For further information please contact the City Clerk at (867)920-5646.

Hours of Operation

Winter Hours effective following the Labour Day Weekend
until prior to the Victoria Day Weekend (September to May)
Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: Closed

Summer Hours effective following the Victoria Day Weekend
until prior to the Labour Day Weekend (May to September)
Monday to Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: Closed

Mailing Address & Phone Numbers

Yellowknife City Hall
4807 - 52 Street, P.O. Box 580, Yellowknife, NT X1A 2N4

Switchboard - (867) 920-5600
Mayor/City Administrator - (867) 920-5634
Booking Clerk - (867) 669-3457
Municipal Enforcement (MED) - (867) 920-5630
After Hours (MED) - (867) 920-2737
After Hours (Public Works) - (867) 920-5699