Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.
Skip to Content

School Support


A ratepayer can declare their support for either school board either partially or in full. A ratepayer can only change their school tax support within the 45 day period after the mailing date noted on the assessment notice. Upon the sale of a property, school tax support automatically reverts to the enrolment ratio.

Where Your School Tax Dollar Goes

The Yellowknife Education District No. 1 and the Yellowknife Catholic Schools are the only two school jurisdictions within the Northwest Territories with the ability to raise revenue through property taxes. This revenue translates into a financial flexibility allowing value-added programming in a number of key areas. It can be seen in quality facilities, French Immersion programming, lower pupil/teacher ratios and appropriate technologies. The school districts are not limited to standard models, either in facility design or school operation. Yellowknife schools are some of the best in the Northwest Territories and in the country.

How School Taxes are Allocated

All ratepayers in the City of Yellowknife have the option of allocating where their school property taxes go. A ratepayer can allocate any portion of their support to either school district. All property owners receive a Notice of Assessment in January indicating the prior year's school tax support and asking for any changes for the coming taxation period. If you wish to change this support, you must do so in writing to the Secretary of the Board of Revision within 45 days of the mailing date of the assessment notice. Your school tax allocated monies will apply to the 2020/2021 school year.

If a ratepayer does not declare a specific school tax support then taxes are allocated on an enrolment ratio. Currently the enrolment split is 59.33% to the Yellowknife Education District No. 1 and 40.67% to the Yellowknife Catholic Schools. When a property is sold, the declaration automatically reverts back to the enrolment split and it is up to the new property owner to declare their new declaration if it is different from the enrolment split. As mentioned above, a ratepayer can declare their support 100% to either Board or any portion thereof. For example, a ratepayer with four children, two of whom attend a public school and two of whom attend a Catholic school, may wish to declare his or her support 50% to the Yellowknife Education District No.1 and 50% to the Yellowknife Catholic School.

Want to Change Your School Tax Support

If you would like to change your school tax support, fill out the School Support Declaration Form and mail to: Secretary of the Board of Revision, P.O. Box 580, Yellowknife, NT X1A 2N4; or drop off at City Hall (4807 52nd Street) during office hours.

Please note that Section 40(3) of the Property Assessment and Taxation Act states that all complaints, including School Support Declarations (s.40(1)(f)) must be received within 45 days after the date of mailing the assessment notices.  Assessment Notices are mailed in January.  If your request is not received in time to be heard by the Yellowknife Board of Revision it will not be processed at that time. We'll keep a copy of your request and forward it to the next year's Board of Revision.


Hours of Operation

Winter Hours effective following the Labour Day Weekend
until prior to the Victoria Day Weekend (September to May)
Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: Closed

Summer Hours effective following the Victoria Day Weekend
until prior to the Labour Day Weekend (May to September)
Monday to Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: Closed

Mailing Address & Phone Numbers

Yellowknife City Hall
4807 - 52 Street, P.O. Box 580, Yellowknife, NT X1A 2N4

Switchboard - (867) 920-5600
Mayor/City Administrator - (867) 920-5634
Booking Clerk - (867) 669-3457
Municipal Enforcement (MED) - (867) 920-5630
After Hours (MED) - (867) 920-2737
After Hours (Public Works) - (867) 920-5699