Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2023 09:09 PM
PUBLIC ADVISORY REGARDING EVACUATION ALERT
The City just issued an Evacuation Alert, what does that mean?
- An Evacuation Alert means that there is an increased risk to Yellowknife due to wildfire nearing the community. Residents should be prepared.
- There would be an Evacuation Order given if the risk escalates. The situation may change.
- It is time to prepare yourself and your family to evacuate your premises or property should it be necessary.
- Residents will be given as much advanced notice as...
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2023 08:28 PM
The City of Yellowknife is issuing an Evacuation Alert for some areas of the city because of the real potential threat to public safety due to the Behchoko/Yellowknife wildfire (ZF015).
The Evacuation Alert is for the following areas:
- Kam Lake
- Grace Lake
- Engle Business District
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2023 09:31 PM
The City of Yellowknife has declared a State of Local Emergency, under the NWT Emergency Management Act for our community at this time as a way to ensure it can exercise precautionary practices and acquire the equipment and resources needed to keep Yellowknife safe from the surrounding wildfires.
A State of Local Emergency is called when a community government determines additional powers are needed to take immediate action in an emergency. This includes taking over the use of vehicles or property...
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2023 07:29 PM
Public notice is hereby given that the Council of the Municipal Corporation of the City of Yellowknife will hold a special meeting of Council at 6 p.m. on Monday, August 14, 2023 in the Council Chamber, City Hall.
The purpose of this meeting is to consider the following Motion:
- Declare a State of Local Emergency in accordance with the Emergency Management Act, given that wildfires are approaching the municipality.
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2023 05:11 PM
The City of Yellowknife will be offering a session for the media to ask questions to City staff on the ongoing wildfire situation around Yellowknife at in Council Chamber at City Hall today, Monday, August 14 at 5:15 p.m.
In attendance will be Mayor Rebecca Alty, City Manager, Sheila Bassi-Kellett, Director of Public Safety, Craig MacLean, and Fire Chief Nelson Johnson. Mike Westwick, the Information Officer for the Government of the Northwest Territories, will also be in attendance.